Tuesday, July 28, 2009

20 years of Medical Record

There is this Chinese Physician whom I had been seeing since I was a little gal.. although after we moved house in my teens, I had not been to the medical shop in umpteen years.. besides, the medical hall has also shifted to other locations and we lost track of its current location. The mummie went on a tour to Vietnam last year and..wha cha you noe, the old physician whom I used to see.. he was on the same tour.. and mummie actually remembered how he looks like and asked him if he is a chinese physician. Bingo! And the best part was that he vaguely remembered me as a little gal he used to treat when mummie mentioned my name.
Recently, I had wanted to try chinese medicine as the 2 visits to the western doc had not cured moi of the persistent cough..so mummie brought me hunting for the medical shop from the yester years. Based on the conversation with the old physician on her tour last year, she had a vague idea of the medical hall's current location. Hee..we managed to find the medical shop today..
  • The shop assistant asked: " Have you been here before"
  • Moi: "Yes.. many many years ago"
  • Shop Assistant: " I can try to trace the old records if you give me the address"
  • Moi: " I have since moved.. its many many years ago..you can try this address ..xxxyyxx (ie old address)
  • Shop Assistant , after finding for a short while: "Yes.. I found your old records.. it states that your last visit was in 1993"
  • Moi:.. "wha.. thats like 16 years ago.."
I was so utterly awed by the fact the the sheets of paper making up my medical records dated as far back as 1987.. when moi was just a 7 years old child..it even records my medical problems of lack of platelets in my blood.. which was the reason that brought mummie to chinese medicine in the first place..
I had given my old address thinking that its impossible for such old records to still exist..Who's to noe that this tiny medical hall and the old physician had actually keep medical records which dated so far back. The assistant mentioned that they have been throwing away medical records of patients who no longer consult at the medical hall thru the years.. I think its my affinity with the physician and the shop.. that my medical records have not been thrown away.
Nostalgic and totally awesome.. although its a pity that the old physician does not do consultation much these days as he teaches students these days. Must book appointment wan.. so another physician treated moi. Hee, will be great if i can see the old physician again.. ;p

No comments: